Links




Banner

November 11, 2017

Clay Set Up - Prep Work


This is my first year teaching clay because, I never had a kiln before. So like any good art teacher, I researched it to death but, figured out that I needed to create my own game plan. So over the next few weeks, I'll be posting some of my own tips, tricks, etc... I don't have it all figured out but, maybe these posts will help another art teacher. 

Preparing Your Clay:

Rolled Clay
Slab Roller

I separate slabs with
plastic sleeves.


1. Roll out your slabs ahead of time.

- I'm fortunate enough to have a slab roller so I can roll slabs out for students to make things faster. 

NOTE: I do however have built into my lessons time for them to practice hand rolling their own clay and practice time for using all the different tools. I do this prior to giving them their final slabs for creating their projects.

2. Separate your slabs so they don't stick together. 

- I use thick plastic dividers to separate mine. They peel off and then I can reuse them over and over. 

Bagged and Labeled Slabs

3. Bag your slabs of clay.

- Make sure to seal your bags really well. I add wet paper towels inside my bags just to make sure the clay stays moist. I've been able to keep these bags for 2 weeks with no problem. I'm sure you could keep them longer if they are really thick plastic and you've sealed them well. 

4. Label bags with number of slabs.

- This just helps you to keep things organized. 

5. Declutter your art room.

- Put away anything and everything you don't need in your art room. You will need the counter and storage space for your students projects. 

6. Storage bags and paper towels.

- Use plastic bags to store the students incomplete projects in. Use paper towels so they can keep one inside their bags to keep their clay moist. I have them use masking tape to label their bags with their names, teacher and grade. Also I have students keep the same paper towel (recycle it) but, just re-wet it each day. 

This is just the start, I will be posting more pictures, tips and tricks over the next few weeks so check out my posts. I'll also be posting sneak peeks of the students awesome art, too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment