Links




Banner

February 19, 2018



African Clay Masks
Creating African Masks
This is a continuation of a previous post about how I teach this project to 3rd graders. Here's the link to the first steps: Clay Masks before Bisque Firing.

Part 2 - Glazing & Adding the Final Touches 
When I set up tables for glazing, I do each glaze color at a separate table and have students travel with there pieces. 
- I know you might think what if they drop them? We review all the rules and procedures and I've not had anyone drop them. 
Rules:
Glazing Process
1. Hold your piece with two hands.
2. Walk.
3. Gently place you piece on the table.
4. Only 4 people at a table at a time.
5. Wipe off glaze on tables if it drips (sponges are on each table).
6. Paintbrushes stay at the table (don't travel with a paintbrush).



Glazed African Masks
After the glazing process is complete, I fire their masks again. Once fired then they start adding some detail to their masks - such as beads, raffia, etc...

Lesson Concepts:
- 3-D Shapes
- Clay - techniques and vocabulary (bisque, kiln, slip, score, etc...)  
- African Art
- Ceremonial Art 
- Elements and Principals of Art





No comments:

Post a Comment