Links




Banner

September 30, 2017







...I truly believe that it's important for students to have a sketchbook. I use them with every child through out the school year for a variety of reasons: 
1. Great way to introduce the concepts of line, shapes and patterns. 
2. Allows you to see before starting any art projects, their artistic abilities. 
3. Great for early finishers.
4. Allows you the chance to teach drawing techniques such as outlining with markers and coloring with crayons and colored pencils. 



When starting the school year, each student creates a sketchbook cover and then we assemble their sketchbooks. The inside pages are filled with newsprint paper for sketching.

I almost always use a "Name Design" theme for their covers. This is a great way to learn your students names faster and they love having something that belongs to them.

I only spend 1-3 days on their sketchbook designs. Easier designs less time than complicated designs. The reason why is I want these to be a work in progress (using them when a project is finished early) and I want them to take their time and go slow with their patterns, etc... If you spend too many days in a row, they get bored and hurry through them. 

These are just one example of the "Name Design" for this school year. I'll post more ideas as students finish up there covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment